Wednesday, September 20, 2006

My naked city

Futher back, and faster...
Early eighties now when my job was to stand with a couple of Italian girls outside West End clubs and entice passing innocents inside...
I looked like "A faggy little leather boy",(Stones; "Memo From Turner")Nilsen bait, with my Billy Idol hair and the girls slutty but sleek..
About two I would go into the club and get fucked up on the drink tokens and speed we were for the most part paid in.
I would then spend the remainder of the night, until about 5 am alternately grinding my hips and teeth.
At five I would go hang out in a park or square for an hour, then when it opened around six I would get onto the circle line and go round about four times for some sleep.
Yeah, I was effectively living on the tube..For my hygiene and food I would rely on the kindness of homosexuals and women..
At that time there was a guy loose on the underground, stabbing people at random.
People were afraid.
One late night underground train ride to "work", and I'm sitting in an empty carriage when a big quater caste guy gets on.Dressed wierd..
The carriage is empty but he sits NEXT to me.. Examining me..
Then I see it...A hospital bracelet on his wrist..Not a good sign.
It had been posited that our stabber was a mental hospital escapee.
At the time (Laugh at will here...Oh the visscitudes of fashion) I wore a cascade of cheap bangle things on my wrist..
My travelling companion is eyeing them intently.
Finally it speaks.. "They silver?" he says..
"Nah mate, stainless steel", I reply.
He makes a quarter turn and looks me in the eye. "Youre lucky", he says, "'cos if they were I'd have your hand off"...
I never believed anyone so absolutely in my life.
The doors were closing so I leap up and fling my skinny frame through the gap , and walked the rest of the way out West feeling luckier than I had done for months.

1 comment:

Hertz Hertz said...

"I never believed anyone so absolutely in my life."

hahahaha, brilliant!

P